Tuesday 30 April 2013

How I applied Uses and Gratification Theory

In order to target and appeal to my target audience I am going to apply the 'Uses and Gratification theory' to my music video. To gain my target audience I am going to have to use all four of Bulmer & Katz reasons.
Diversions – escape from everyday problems and routine – this is shown in my video through the narrative when the boy starts drink alcohol to forget all of his problems.
Personal relationships – using the media for emotional and other interaction – this is shown by  showing the emotions between two characters within the narrative, the audience is going to be able to relate to it and find it more appealing. The audience is going to be able to identify with sections of the relationship, and will accept it easily. I am going to show this through still shots of the two characters being close and happy and also using flashbacks of them doing the iconic relationship actions. 
Personal identity – constructing their own identity from characters in media text, and learning behaviour and values - This has been applied by the age of my actors, through the fashion and role models. I am going to have my actors and members of the band wear clothing that will represent and relate the genre. These means clothes that is similar to 'The Script,’ and other similar bands that fit into the alternative indie rock genre. By applying this reason of the theory to my video, it will allow the audience to link the video and themselves to the genre.
Surveillance – information gathering e.g. educational programmes, weather reports, news reports – this can be shown through the ‘message’ that we tried to portray to the audience as not everything is ‘perfect’ in real-life and by consuming alcohol doesn’t make everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment