Tuesday 12 February 2013

How existing products have influenced our ideas for the music video

As you can see three music videos have been evaluated, these follow the same genre as our decided song choice of our music video 'Pop Rock' or 'Alternative Rock'. In this post I am going to explain how each of these existing products have grasped specific ideas that will influence me to design the music video. I will also be looking at code and conventions, camera shots, editing, angles and clothing.

A convention I noticed was the band who were singing were placed in an isolated area such as a woods, parking lot or a warehouse. This isolation helps to seperate the band from the narrative. This aspect I really thought was effective as it kept the narrative separate from the band but it will also help the identify the video as part of the 'Alternative Rock' genre.

Another code and convention of this specific genre that I found superior was that during the chorus there are more frequent cuts between the band shots and the narrative shots. This may be to build the tension and exciment during parts of the song, in which will gain more views of the music video.

The video 'For the First Time' there was a use of hand held camera which I think works really well to make the audience feel as though they are apart of the narrative. By creating this sense of 'in their shoes,' the emotions and feelings are intensified and felt more by the audience which the audience may be able to relate to and this is the effect I want to have in my music video.

I like how in each of the three music videos close up shots were used on the singer. By doing this, this helps to emphasise the emotions and feelings of the song. This is something that I will experiment with when creating the songs because I want the audience to feel as they're apart of this song or it's a song they can relate to in the real world.

Mid shots are used on the lead guitarist this seems to be a convention in many of the music videos with the following genre 'Alternative Rock'. I will use this in order to make my video associate with the genre as then the audience can see we have followed the 'Alternative Rock' genre.

Another code and convention was the clothin. The three music videos I evaluated all the band members were wearing dark coloured clothes, this seems to be a major convention of 'Alternative Rock' and because I want the audience to recognise this is the specific genre I am aiming at I will follow this in when I am creating the music video.

There was a use of an establishing shot at the start of 'After Midnight.' It shows the audience where the video is set which could give them an insight of what the music video is about.
A close up zoom was used frequently which emphasise the emotions, it makes the audience relate to what is happening or make it feel sympathetic.

I found in the video of 'When September Ends' that the narrative was quite long and on-going. I think when I am creating the music video I will break the narrative up so that the audience get to see more of the band rather than a long narrative.

No comments:

Post a Comment